Here we are, on a freezing cold last day of the year. Yeah, it has been unseasonably cold this winter. Still that’s not going to dampen my mood. It’s bright and sunny out. I don’t see why this last post of the year can’t be exactly that! Let me see… so what piqued my interest in 2015.
This has been a year of cooking up a storm of new recipes and ending up loving all of them. Seriously I don’t think there’s anything we didn’t like and that includes my homemade cranberry sauce and vanilla cupcakes with strawberry icing. As for my Asian cooking, which isn’t my forte, I’m laughing that I managed to cook these.
- out of this world radish soup
- steamed egg with homemade salted egg – a little watery from the condensation but still good
- glutinous black rice soup
- gajinamul (eggplant Korean sidedish)
- ginger and spring onion tilapia fillets (always loved this at Chinese restaurants but didn’t think I could wing it at home without a recipe)
- charsiew (barbecue) pork steak – omg, totally awesome!
- Beef stew noodles, where have you been all my life? Omg, I can’t even begin to describe the intensity of this rich beefy soup made with 9 herbs and spices that our favorite Chinese restaurant chef says he brings in from San Francisco. Confession, I’ve never eaten tripe and never thought I’d like it so much!
- Shrimp tempura in a box? C’mon, no way!! But yes, finally we don’t have to look sadly at those one or two pitiful shrimp tempura peeking out of a sparsely populated bento box. Now we can eat plump crispy shrimp tempura till we bounce up and down like helium balloons.
- Tin roof sundae, bartlett pears, apple pears, grapefruit – what’s not to love?
- Sampling food at Costco where they give out portions you can actually taste instead of those measly microscopic bits that do nothing more than get stuck in your teeth.
- Going to basketball games and cheering like a crazy LOL.
- People can promise you the world but it doesn’t mean they will deliver. Lots of those around.
- Bring cupcakes to a potluck. Everyone loves ’em.
- Don’t waste your time on b*tches, witches and ditchers.
- Don’t settle for lukewarm Vietnamese noodle soup. It tastes better piping hot.
- When in drought, go to a car wash. It’s fun watching the soap bubbles dribble down the windows and it’s even more fun vacuuming the car yourself.
Okay, and I’m off to bake an orange cake. Have a safe and amazing 2016. Happy New Year!