1. Mind your manners. Don’t forget to say your thank-you’s and excuse me’s. Always greet your elders i.e. say your hello’s and goodbye’s.
2. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, so says Confucious. Never met the guy but he sure sounds like he knows what he’s talking about 😉 .
3. Appreciate and be grateful for what you have and what others do for you.
4. Never go to a party or a function on an empty stomach. Always eat something before you go because you never know when the meal is going to be served and more importantly, when the food is finally served, your hunger won’t make you look like you haven’t eaten in weeks.
5. Live within your means.
6. Don’t take what’s not yours and that includes other people’s money, stuff, scholarships, spouses (?), etc. Karma makes the world go round and it can be a real b*tch. Maybe not now. But definitely somehow.
7. Think for yourself. Have a mind of your own. Form your own opinions. Where the herd is headed may not be right for you.
8. Before you jump into anything, think of the consequences.
9. Live and let live, and that includes animals and creepy crawlies.
10. Show kindness, compassion and humility.
11. Be yourself. Be real. No point trying to keep up with the Kardashians or be someone you’re not because you’ll always be you, not Angelina, not Halle. Besides why would you want to be them? Maybe you’re having it better than they are but you just don’t know it 😉 .
12. If you don’t know something, say you don’t know. It’s better than lying or faking it. No one can know everything except maybe for dahling Google. Like my teacher always said, it takes a great man to admit he doesn’t know.
13. Laugh at yourself. It’s therapeutic.
14. Don’t make promises you don’t intend to keep. Think that came from a song 😆 .
15. Don’t waste food. Lots of hungry people out there, give them a thought.
Some of these (the more profound ones) I picked up from my doting grandmother and school teachers as I was growing up. Some, I made up along the way. Some are no-brainers.