Monday Quiz about me 4 12

Acting BalancedNow that was a nice, laid back weekend we had. We basically lounged around at home and did little else. And yes, I’m a little sad the 49ers lost, boohoo!

1. Are you good about going to the doctor?

Not at all.

2. What do you think about the practice of restaurants adding automatic tips for large groups or specific events?

It’s okay to suggest a tip but there should definitely be an option for the diner to change the tip depending on the kind of service they receive.

3. When was the last time you went out for dinner?

We had grilled chicken last Thursday night. For the past few weekends, we’ve been trying our darnest not to get caught in the weekend madness. We dash in, grab our groceries and a quick bite to eat, and we’re outta there before that “clanging” music drives me nuts.

4. What is your best budget saving tip for recovering from an unexpected expense or planning for one?

Get everyone involved. It’s more fun and it can get a lot more creative when everyone’s chipping in with ideas on how to save, where to find good deals, etc.

5. My question…

Raine (our resident college sophomore) has a Philosophy assignment which inexplicably begs some questions that are larger than life. As you can imagine, we spent the better part of the evening debating the whys and wherefores of evolution. Somewhere between the question of whether we are products of evolution and how, by being such products, we are not free to be free (whatever that means :roll: ), we were clutching our numbskulls and declaring that no GPS is going to get us any closer to where we were two hours ago.

My question for you today, however, has nothing to do with Philosophy. My question is simply this – Do you, and to what extent, do you help your kids with their homework?

12 thoughts on “Monday Quiz about me 4

1. Mamaw's Place Feb 4,2013 9:09 pm

So glad to see I’m not the only one who doesn’t go to the doctor. My granddaughter’s middle name is Rayne (spelled different). She is four years old and our Shelby Rayne would debate what makes the sunshine if she got a chance. Since my kids are grown, I no longer have to help with homework, but I was always available if my kids needed my help. I normally like to help them by asking leading questions to steer them in the right way to figure it out. But if they got really, really stuck I would help them figure it out.

2. Tami AKA My Kid's Mom Feb 4,2013 9:28 pm

I always helped my kids with their homework, especially when it came to writing papers.

3. Judy Feb 4,2013 9:54 pm

I used to be a teacher so I helped my kids with their homework. I also helped their friends. Now I love to see my grandchildren’s work although they are smarter than me now.

4. Nani Feb 5,2013 1:25 am

I guess I help the kids with their homework in as much as I do whatever they want me to do; it’s the crux of success in Feline Obedience School, make us obey. ;)

I helped my nieces in the same way my Mom helped me. I would guide them to the answers but not give them away. It was a lot longer work for me, as it was for my Mom, but in the end I’m grateful she did it that way and I’ve heard the same thanks’ from my now collegiate nieces too.

5. blueyes Feb 5,2013 3:02 am

No kids of my own but I have helped a friends kids do their math homework a few times. Growing up nobody in my family could help with mine because oddly enough it was too advanced for them.

6. Arlene Feb 5,2013 6:10 am

I sit with my son regularly to help him with his homework. He has mild dyslexia, so some of the reading can be tricky for him to understand, and writing assignments are challenging. I’m there to help him and cheer him on.

7. Marvi Marti Feb 5,2013 7:52 am

I home schooled mine so helped as needed :)

8. Wayne Feb 5,2013 8:47 pm

I let them do their homework. It is up to them to learn how to do it but I will give hints where needed to help guide them. Thanks for participating in the MQAM. Look forward to seeing you again next week!

9. Sue Feb 6,2013 8:16 am

No homework yet – she is still in preschool! :) But, I imagine I will try to use the Socratic method of asking her questions to allow her to come to her own understanding of the information. Since I teach college, I imagine that it will be tough not to be an overinvolved parent. :)

10. Sammie Feb 6,2013 10:27 pm

I do not have kids but I have helped ,over the phone at that, kids of family and friends with home work. I refuse to give the answers but help walk them through to solve it themselves. I did homeschool my niece preparing her for kindergarten instilling methods to walk through a problem on her own. So thankful she absorbed such so young and is excelling in school now, though sister wishes I lived closer to help once she gets to the homework stage. I also help my sister with her college home work, that as been an interesting experiences in itself.