A soft toy story 9

Say hello to Angry Bird, Minnie from Disneyland, Bobby John the Baby Panda from San Diego Zoo and Neal the Polar Bear from Seaworld, San Diego. Neal is Raine’s birthday present from her older brother, Steev.

When my kids were growing up, the only soft toys we had were a gorilla and a puppy which we had won at the Moomba festival in Melbourne, Australia and even then, those were stashed away, out of sight of the kids.

I have a ‘no soft toys’ policy and for good reason. First off, I can only imagine how much bacteria and dust is living in that oh so cuddly coat of fur. Surely that can’t be good for the kids, especially when they cuddle them close to their faces. Think allergies.

Sure soft toys are cute and all but I can’t see much of an educational value in something that can only sit there and do precious nothing else. Hence, my ‘no soft toy’ policy. My kids never asked for them and I never offered to buy them any. We would see them at the store, remark how cute they are and move on.

But now we have a small collection of soft toys, no thanks to my estranged half-brother and half-SIL who gave my kids their first soft toys. Said half-SIL was having trouble conceiving a child after 5 years of trying and according to some old wives’ tales, it seemed it would help her conceive if she were nice to other people’s kids.

What a ridiculous idea but hardly surprising considering how full of –it she is. Of course, I had no idea what she was up and why she was being so nice to my kids all of a sudden since clearly, she isn’t a nice person to start with.

Even after I told her I didn’t want my kids playing with stuffed toys, she still went ahead and brought a small army over and handed them to my kids. I understand her desperation but she could at least have respected my stand on the issue and bought them some other kind of toy, no?

Then again, we’re talking about a couple who would bulldoze their way through and do whatever it takes to get what they want, right or wrong. So that’s the story of how stuffed toys came into our lives. As the kids have gotten older, I’ve relaxed the rule. But it’s more of a rare indulgence though, like when we were on vacation earlier this year.

Are there any toys you don’t like your kids playing with for one reason or another?

9 comments on “A soft toy story

1. bluebellscreams May 31, 2011 5:38 am

We don’t give our son plastic toys. Everyone knows this and they keep buying them for him anyway. It’s infuriating. Whether or not you agree with someone else’s parenting choices, you should still respect them. It’s not that complicated.

New follower from the Mom Blog Monday hop btw!

• Clairity May 31, 2011 7:13 am

@bluebellscreams
      My point exactly! Glad I’m not alone in this since folks seem to be lurking on this post and seem not to comment.

2. Patricia May 31, 2011 6:46 pm

I am not that fond of stuff animals. On the Dr. Oz show he said you could put them in the freezer over night and it would kill whatever was on them. I don’t think I would want it in my freezer.

I am following you via the Memorial Day Finding New Friends Weekend blog Hop. Please stop by my blog and say hello. I am your newest GFC follower

itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com

3. Christine @ Our Homeschool Reviews Jun 1, 2011 4:04 am

Stopping by and now following you from the hop. I agree about the soft toys, although my daughter has a ton of them. I would say 95% comes from other family members though. She loves them and names them all.

4. Cassondra Jun 1, 2011 7:53 am

new follower ! found you on tuesday blog hops!
    mamaspassions.blogspot.com/2011/05/blog-hop-tuesday.html

5. Blinka.li Jun 1, 2011 7:51 pm

I recalled only having one for myself at the age of errrr…maybe 10?? I do bought one each for the boys, but they r just for dust collections really. Not on our beds thanks!! But lately hubby bought 5 angry birds and still they r not in our rooms but more so in the play room ..again, collecting dust. ;)

6. Clairity Jun 1, 2011 9:14 pm

@Blinka
    You said it, collecting dust, that’s exactly it LOL.

7. Stephania Jun 2, 2011 7:41 am

My parents allowed us to have soft toys growing up, but now seeing your perspective on it I see how it would be harmful to kid’s health. Thanks for the tip!

8. Debra Chapoton Jun 4, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi, you have a great site! Im from edgeofescape.blogspot.com. Im following the Surfin’ Saturday blog hop that you linked to. Please stop by my blog, Id love to have you follow me.