3 pairs of ears 12

Where did last week go? Oops, you know what? I think I spent most of it listening. And talking. To my teens. Very little got done around here.

Steev was on his spring break and we were skyping practically every day for 2-3 hours at a stretch. It’s our routine to talk every day even if it’s only briefly during the semester when he’s really busy with homework.

He and I can chat all day. Seriously. From the time he was 10 or 11, we’ve always had these extended chit-chats. Okay, so maybe I’m biased because he’s my son but we always have something interesting to talk about – from everyday stuff and people to color print techniques to all things geeky.

The same thing with my girls. There’s no shortage of stories and giggles from college and school either. When I pick them up every day, they would tell me about their day at school and I’ll update them about my day. Believe me, there’s no shortage of stories, discussions, questions, issues and jokes.

When you have 3 teens, one pair of ears isn’t enough. More like 2 more pairs of extra ears !! But listening isn’t just listening. It’s listening and advising, and chiming in with my stories, my experiences, my humor, my take on things. Listening and teaching, and learning. Interestingly, learning works both ways – our kids learn from us and we learn from them too.

So yeah, my kids are teens now but I’m still listening. Can’t say I’ve perfected the art yet :lol: . All I know is that I’m never too busy to listen, and I never tire of talking with them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

12 thoughts on “3 pairs of ears

1. Megan @ Loving the little things May 1,2011 1:59 am

I think it’s awesome that you and your kids still make the time to talk! Says a lot about how well you’ve raised them :)

2. Life Below Zero May 1,2011 1:48 pm

Hello!
    Visiting via Moms Social Blog Hop. I’ve been following you for a long time but was happy to find and follow you on Twitter as well.

I LOVE your post about lending ears to your teens! You are giving them a precious gift – your attention! KUDOS!

Now I’m off to Blogfrog to make sure I follow you there,too.

Life Below Zero
    casinofreebies3.blogspot.com

3. Tired Of Previews May 1,2011 9:09 pm

Hey – Came over from Sunday Hop from WynnieBee. Cute Blog.

If you like movies – check mine out – I post my reviews – so grab a cup of coffee, click a review and enjoy!

Katy
    tiredofpreviews.com

4. Beader Bubbe May 1,2011 10:05 pm

Communication is the answer….I can relate, having had 5 children; now with 6 grandchildren….we are all ears!

5. Orangeheromama May 1,2011 11:31 pm

I’m a new follower! Found you through the Sunday hop! :)

Christy @
    scrappy2010ramblings.blogspot.com

6. Orangeheromama May 1,2011 11:32 pm

Ugh. I don’t know why my comments keep disappearing from blogs..

Anywho! I’m a new follower! :)
    Would love if you followed back!

7. Bev May 1,2011 11:50 pm

Time ‘invested’ in your kids is never wasted – sounds like you got tons of luving done – that’s a good thing : D Loved your post and thanks again for stopping by at WynnieBee’s for the hop :D

8. Chasing Rainbow May 2,2011 2:37 am

Well I an there…I have a teen and a pre-teen, listening is so important. What a beautiful post. Bev hit the nail on the head…the kids will remember these days. KUDOS.
    Happy Sunday. I am a new follower.

chasingmyrainbowbaby.blogspot.com

Have a great week.

9. Mikey R May 2,2011 4:27 am

Catching up on my blog hopping- better late than never, right?

When you get the chance come visit me too!
    Cheers-
    Mikey
    mikey-thesinglemom.blogpot.com

10. Vanessa May 2,2011 4:28 am

My kids are chatter boxes and I love every second of it. I call my mom sometimes 2 or 3 times a day to catch up with her. She’s in Florida and I am in Nebraska. I talk to her while grocery shopping every week and on my way to work every day. I love it.

Vanessa
    New follower from the Swingin By Sunday hop

11. Hungrigyrl May 2,2011 7:40 am

I think that is so awesome that you have that kind of relationship with your kids! I think its so important during the teen years to keep the lines of communication open. I hope its that way for me when my boys grow older!

12. Keenly Kristin May 2,2011 10:17 am

Hi!! That is a great situation with your kids…luckily mine is pretty similar!

New follower from Not So Moody Monday!

Kristin :)